Police Assistance Line - 131 444

Police Assistance Line - 131 444

Thursday, 18th July 2019

There are now more ways to contact Victoria Police

You can report some non-urgent crime and events anytime, anywhere by calling the Police Assistance Line on 131 444 or submitting an online report.

The Police Assistance Line and online reporting service provides people with the ability to call Victoria Police 24 hours a day, seven days a week to report lost property or property related crime such as a theft or property damage, or to make general police enquiries.

The Police Assistance Line has provided new contact options to help improve the response, management and delivery of police services to ther community.

If an incident is life-threatening, needs immediate police attendance, a crime is happening now, or an offender is (or may be) still in the area, still call Triple Zero (000) immediately.

To report online go to https://www.police.vic.gov.au


Frequently Asked Questions

When should i use the Police Assistance Line?

Any time you would like to report a non-urgent crime or event, or for general police enquiries.

Examples of non-urgent crimes and events include:

  • theft (including theft of a motor vehicle)
  • property damage
  • lost property
  • general police enquiries and more

Why has the Police Assistance Line been introduced?

The Police Assistance Line and online reporting have been introduced to greatly improve service delivery by enabling the public to directly connect with Victoria Police regarding non-urgent crimes, events and general police enquiries from any location.

What happens when I call the Police Assistance Line?

If you contact the Police Assistance Line, we will be able to assist you in a number of ways:

  • by taking crime reports for incidents such as burglary, theft and property damage
  • by taking lost property reports
  • by providing you with information should you be seeking assistance or advice with a general inquiry

In the case of a crime or lost property report, you will receive an acknowledgement which will include support information and a police reference number, either by post or by email, once we have processed your telephone report.

If you call about a matter we are unable to assist with over the phone, you may be referred to your local police station or provided with the details of another agency that can provide the assistance or information you require

Source: Victoria Police